When it comes to Indian cuisine, there’s a plethora of delectable dishes to explore. One such dish that adds a burst of flavour and crunch to your plate is Namkeen Sewai. This savoury vermicelli dish is a perfect blend of spices and textures, making it an ideal choice for breakfast, snacks, or even a light dinner. In this blog, we’ll take you through a step-by-step guide on how to prepare this mouthwatering Namkeen Sewai at home.
What is Namkeen Sewai?
Namkeen Sewai is a savoury variation of the traditional sweet sevai or vermicelli. Unlike its sweet counterpart, this dish is seasoned with a medley of aromatic spices, vegetables, and sometimes even protein sources like peas or tofu. It’s a popular breakfast and snack option in many Indian households due to its quick preparation and delightful taste.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
For the Sewai:
• 2 cups of thin vermicelli (sewai)
• 2 tablespoons of oil
• 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
• 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
• 1/4 cup green peas
• 1/4 cup chopped carrots
• 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
• chop 2-3 green chilies, and adjust the quantity to your desired level of spiciness.
• Use 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder, and adjust the amount to suit your preferred level of spiciness.
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• Salt to taste
• Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
• Lemon wedges for serving
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
• A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
Roasting the Sewai:
• In another small saucepan, gently warm up 2 tablespoons of oil.
• Add the vermicelli and roast on medium-low heat until they turn golden brown. Keep stirring to ensure even roasting.
• Once done, transfer the roasted sewai to a plate and set aside.
• In the same pan, heat 2 more tablespoons of oil.
• Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
• Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
Add Vegetables and Spices:
• Now, add green chilies, peas, carrots, and bell peppers (if using). Sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables become tender.
• Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well.
Cooking the Vermicelli:
Add the roasted vermicelli to the pan and mix everything thoroughly.
Pour 3-4 cups of water into the pan and stir. Cover the pan and cook on low heat for about 10-12 minutes or until the vermicelli is soft and all the water is absorbed.
Keep stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
• In a separate small pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
• Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
• Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and pour this tempering over the prepared Namkeen Sewai.
Garnish and Serve:
• Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
• Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Tips and Variations:
You can customise this recipe by adding your favourite vegetables like beans, corn, or even paneer.
To make it healthier, use whole wheat vermicelli or multigrain vermicelli.
Namkeen Sewai pairs wonderfully with a side of mint chutney or yoghourt.
Positive Cook provides you with Namkeen Sewai Recipe, it is a versatile dish that’s sure to please your taste buds with its rich flavours and satisfying crunch. Whether you enjoy it for breakfast, as a snack, or as a light meal, this recipe is a must-try for anyone looking to add a delightful twist to their regular meals. Give it a shot, and let your culinary skills shine with this delicious Namkeen Sewai recipe!